What is a standard?
A standard is a document established by consensus and approved by a recognized body that provides for common and repeated use, rules, guidelines or characteristics for activities or their results, aimed at the achievement of the optimum degree of order in a given context.
How are standards developed?
Link naar onze standards development procedure
What is a Technical Committee?
Is a committee consisting of experts in various areas in a certain sector, that is responsible for the development of standards together with the Technical Secretary.
What is a NWIP?
Is an acronym for a New Work Item Proposal, in which someone can request the development of a new standard.
What are some of the benefits of standards?
- Set the level of quality, thereby allowing products to be evaluated and compared
- Streamline production and improve manufacturing processes
- Increase productivity and enhance efficiency.
- Reduce costs for consumers.
- Provide the basis for trade transactions.
- Minimize waste
- Ensures safety and performance
- Ensure that products and services perform their necessary functions
- Facilitate interchangeability of products and services designed for the same purpose
How can I purchase a standard?
If you are interested in obtaining a national standard, please refer to the following procedure for purchase:
- You send an e-mail to email@example.com with your request (your order) and indicates which standard (s) you wish to buy. You can also use the contact form on our website (www.ssb.sr).
- Upon receipt of your email with your request, you will receive an invoice with payment instructions (within 48hrs after receiving your request).
- As soon as we receive your payment, you will receive a "hard copy" or a "soft copy" version of the standard. If during your purchase order you requested a "hard copy", you will receive a notification that the standard is ready for pick up or delivery.
- You are also free to contact us at our office, located at Leysweg No. 10 Paramaribo Suriname, to purchase a hard copy or soft copy of the standard.
Our opening hours are from Monday to Thursday from 7:30 to 15:30 and on Friday from 7:30 to 15:00
How can I request for the development of a new National standard?
If you wish to sent in a request for a new national standard, you can do so by filling out and submitting this form (NWIP link)
What are technical regulations?
Document which lays down product characteristics or their related processes and production methods, including the applicable administrative provisions, with which compliance is mandatory
What is the difference between accreditation and certification?
While certification is a confirmation of conformance of a product, service or system to established standards or requirements, accreditation establishes, for instance, the competence of a laboratory including requirements for laboratory personnel and operations.
What does SSB do?
The core activities of SSB are:
- facilitating the development of national standards
- conducting assessment of products, services, processes and practices against national standards and technical regulations
What is standardization?
Standardization is an activity which serves to provide solutions for repetitive application to problems in order to achieve the optimum degree of order in a given context. Generally, standardization is the development, issuing and application of standards in order to produce higher quality products and services. Standardization can include the following activities:
Research and drafting of a standard
- the consensus committee development process for a standard
- the approval and declaration of the standard
- the publication of standards
- the application of standards by businesses, suppliers and customers;
- conformity assessment of products to a particular standard
- the accreditation of organizations
- the certification of products
- the testing of products
How can I participate in national standardization?