The Surinamese Standards Bureau (SSB) has been established as Sui Generis by the Surinaams Bureau voor Standaarden Act (SB 2006 no 30, last amended by SB 2012 no 42). The Office was officially opened on October 15, 2007 and was housed at the harbor avenue at the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Tourism.
The purpose of the SSB, as set out in Article 3 paragraph 1 of the aforementioned Act, is as follows:
The aim of the Agency is to create an adequate, healthy standard infrastructure to stimulate economic activities, to protect the environment, human safety and health, as well as to protect life and plant and animal health, by establishing , adopting, developing, maintaining and promoting the application and use of standards and technical regulations.
What are we doing
The SSB is responsible for the development, maintenance and promotion of standards and technical regulations according to the Standards Act (SB 2004 no. 121).
The Office functions as:
- The National Institute for Standards and Technical Regulations;
- The National Institute for Certification of Goods and Accepted Practices;
- The National Institute of Metrology;
- The National Institute for Laboratory Accreditation;
- The national information point for WTO / TBT as well as ACP-EU.
Mission and vision
Our mission is:
The SSB helps ensure, stimulate and promote the quality and sustainability of life as well as corporate social responsibility in Suriname through standardization, conformity assessment, metrology and related services.
Our vision is:
The SSB will be an innovative, visionary, customer and purpose-driven organization of excellence, offering quality products and services in standardization, conformity assessment and metrology for the development of a solid national quality infrastructure in Suriname.
The Surinamese Standards Bureau has been established as a legal entity Sui Generis, with a policy / management structure consisting of the following actors:
Composed of members from both the private and public sectors, namely:
- Ministry of Trade, Industry and Tourism
- Ministry of Health
- Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries
- Office of the President (environmental matters)
- Association of Surinamese Manufacturers (ASFA)
- Surinamese Business Association (VSB)
- Chamber of Commerce and Industry (KKF)
- Technological Faculty of the Anton de Kom University of Suriname
- Trade union movement
The Board is responsible for determining the policy of the SSB and as such supervises the implementation of this policy by the management. The Board is accountable to the Minister of Trade, Industry and Tourism
With a director who is in charge of the SSB on the implementation of the policy. The director is accountable to the Board in the performance of this task